If you've just recently arrived in Newcastle to start university then firstly well done, you’ve made a great decision to study in this fantastic city!
To help with your introduction to student life here we'll be sharing loads of information in this blog on things to do in Newcastle. First up is a list of the top student friendly places to eat that won’t blow your budget in the first term!
1. Number one on your list should be a trip to Grainger Market which you’ll find between Grainger Street & Clayton street, near Monument metro. The market is home to over 100 businesses, a number of which are student friendly food stalls offering a huge variety of tasty grub that won’t break the bank. Places worth a visit include La Petite Crêperie for awesome crepes (savoury or sweet depending on your mood!), Slice for the best pizza you’ll taste in Newcastle and the relatively new addition of Nan Bei’s for amazing dumplings & savoury buns (the barbecued roast pork bun is not to be missed!)
2. Next up is Chilli Padi – this Malaysian eatery is a fairly new addition to the Newcastle restaurant scene but is already making big waves since it opened in July and is building fans by the day on Tripadvisor. Located on Leazes Lane not far from Newcastle University it’s a café style restaurant that offers a great variety of authentic Malaysian food in a really relaxed atmosphere. The super friendly staff are more than happy to guide you through the menu to make sure you leave happy and very well fed!
3. If you are looking for a chicken fix that won’t break your budget then head down to Collingwood street and give the Coop chicken house a whirl. They offer simple food done well, a perfect example being their house speciality of salt, pepper and lemon wings which taste amazing! Also on the menu is a tempting range of sauces to spice up your chicken, if you're feeling particularly adventurous you can opt for the XXX ultra hot sauce or the ‘evil one’ which is only for the very brave! Coop are currently showing some extra special student love with a student discount offer of 20% off on Mondays with unlimited soft drink refills – handy if you go wild with the spicy sauce options!
4. However, if burgers are more your thing then a trip to the Fat Hippo empire is most definitely in order. You can choose from Fat Hippo in Jesmond or Fat Hippo Underground right slam bang in the centre of Newcastle just off Grey Street. Both venues offer amazing burgers with a wide range of beef, chicken and veggie options to suit all taste buds, although there is a warning that don’t expect to eat without getting messy – but that’s half the fun of a fat hippo meal! The student friendly time to visit is for Hippo Hour which is 5pm to 6pm (or til 7pm if you head to Jesmond) Monday to Friday and you can clear up with 2 courses for a tenner!
5. Finally, a roundup of the best student eating spots in Newcastle wouldn’t be complete without a mention of Franscesca’s in Jesmond, such a firm favourite amongst students that it's practically become an institution. It’s a bustling Italian restaurant offering excellent value for money meals in a really friendly atmosphere. Word of warning though that you can’t book and as it's a pretty popular spot queuing is likely but it’s well worth the wait! They definitely don’t scrimp on the portions so go armed with a big appetite ready to enjoy an italian feast!
Enjoy getting to know all the great places that our amazing city has to offer, to keep updated on our future blog posts then simply follow us on twitter @RoseworthSL – we’ll be sure to keep the Newcastle top tips coming and will also be sharing our advice on all things student accommodation, with many years in the business it’s our speciality subject!
In the meantime, if you have any questions on renting student properties in and around Newcastle then don’t hesitate to give us a buzz on 0191 222 1225 - our friendly team are ready and waiting to help.