When searching for the ideal student property, we understand that it can be a daunting process and you may feel overwhelmed. We have provided a list of questions that you may wish to ask so that you have a note of all the important information that you will need to know to help you make the right decision.
- Does the exterior and interior of the property appear well maintained?
- Is there sufficient communal living space for the number of people?
- Do bedroom sizes meet household expectations?
- Are there enough facilities for the size of the group?
- Is there a phone line / internet connection?
- Is insurance included with the property?
Who is managing the property?
- Is the Landlord or letting agency managing the property?
- Will you be provided with the landlords full contact name and address?
- Who should any maintenance issues be reported to? What will happen if there is an emergency maintenance issue out of office hours?
The Assured Shorthold Tenancy Agreement (AST)
- Is the tenancy agreement an individual tenancy agreement or a joint and several liable tenancy agreement?
- What is the tenancy start and end date?
- Will a guarantor need to be provided?
- If you decide to renew your tenancy for the second term, what will you need to do?
- Will you be provided with a copy of the tenancy agreement before signing?
Security of the property
- Do all windows (including downstairs windows) and doors have locks?
- Are there suitable strong locks on front and back doors, in line with recent regulations?
- Does the property have an alarm?
- Have all appliances been PAT tested?
- Is there a Landlords gas safety certificate?
- Do all furnishings comply with fire regulations?
- Are there ample smoke alarms in the property?
- Is there a fire blanket and fire extinguisher?
- Does the property apply to current HMO regulations? (if applicable)
- Ensure that the above certificates are readily available to see if needed.
Heating / Lighting
- What type of heating does the property have? Is it economical to use?
- What type of lights are provided i.e. halogen spotlights, energy saving lights etc.
- What tenancy deposit scheme is the Landlord using to protect your deposit?
- Will you be provided with a copy of the relevant certificate and details of what to do if there is a dispute at the end of your tenancy?
- What are the letting agency fees, if any?
- You need confirmation of what the weekly rent is for the property is and what it includes
- When and how will the rent be paid?
- Are bills included? What other bills are there and what are you liable to pay for? Make sure that you factor these into your budget.
- What are the estimated running costs of the property?
- How much deposit is required?
- Remember don’t be rushed into making any decisions. Make sure that you are satisfied with the answers to any questions that you ask.
- You may find our previous blog “How to secure the best property in Newcastle” (insert link to the blog) helpful as it provides a list of handy hints.
- For further lettings advice please visit the following page on our website (insert link to Lettings Advice).
- We hope that you have found the above helpful, however, should you have any other questions that are not on the list then please just ask and our friendly staff will be more than happy to help answer.
To keep updated on our student top tips just follow us on twitter @RoseworthSL.