If you like a good bargain then you must visit the North East’s markets to grab some of the best local produce. Most of the markets happen over the weekends though some happen every month. Newcastle has plenty to offer students from the permanent Grainger Market in Newcastle City Centre to the quite recent food market in Jesmond Dene. Check out Roseworth student lettings guide on the best markets:
1. Tynemouth Market
- Where: Tynemouth Metro Station, Station Terrace, Tynemouth, NE30 4RE
- Days: Every Saturday and Sunday from 9.00am to 4.00pm
This is a great weekend market based in the beautiful Victorian Tynemouth Metro Station that sells all sorts! There are around 150 stalls on both sides of the platform specialising in antiques, crafts, art, bric-a-brac and collectables, clothes, music and jewellery. Also, on every third Saturday of each month the market is joined by local farmers selling fresh local produce such as fruit, veg, meat, cheeses etc at market prices.
2. Grainger Market
- Where: Grainger Market, Grainger Street, Newcastle, NE1 5QG
- Days: Monday and Wednesday from 9am to 5pm; Tuesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday from 9am to 5.30pm
Just a short walk from both the Newcastle and Northumbria Universities, the indoor market is a listed building and was built in 1835. The Grainger Market offers a huge range of products from fresh fruit, vegetables, meat and fish (perfect for those cheap student meals) to handmade crafts, hardware and clothing fabrics. The market is split up into grid of aisles that are home to many different local businesses and is still home to one of the original Marks & Spencer Penny Bazaar stalls from which the famous store began its journey.
3. Food Market, Jesmond Dene
- Where: Armstrong Bridge, Jesmond Dene, Benton Bank, NE7 7BH)
- Days: The popular Jesmond food market in Newcastle is held on the third Saturday of every month from 10am to 3pm
Jesmond food market is great for picking up fresh local produce such as a variety of cheeses, fresh local meats, fresh vegetables, artisan breads, coffees, cakes, pastries, street food, pickles, handmade chocolates and lots more. To keep up to date with who’s doing what, follow @JesFoodMkt on twitter.
4. Quayside Market - Newcastle's Quayside Sunday market
- Where: Newcastle Quayside, NE1 3DE
- Days: Every Sunday from 9.30am to 4pm
The lively Newcastle Quayside Market is held every Sunday along Newcastle’s Quayside beside the Tyne Bridge. This is a perfect place to see some unique arts and crafts stalls and to grab something to eat with the local food producers on the riverfront. Sometimes there are also random performances by street artists and musicians too.
5. Newcastle Farmers’ Market
- Where: Grey’s Monument, Newcastle, NE1 7AL
- Days: First Friday of every month from 9.30am to 2.30pm
Another great market in Newcastle City Centre is held outdoors at Grey’s Monument on the first Friday of every month. This market is particularly known for its local food produce where all products are produced within a 50 mile radius of Newcastle. This market provides a local vibe as it supports local farmers, growers and producers. ‘Northumberland Cheese Company’ and handmade chilli sauces from ‘Spicy Monkey’ are just some of the products on show.
For any further queries please contact Roseworth on 0191 222 1225 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.