The Christmas holidays are so close that you can almost taste that delicious turkey dinner you’ve been dreaming about for weeks. But before you head home for the festive break make sure you take a moment to ensure that you’re keeping your student accommodation secure over Christmas. Houses full of presents and empty properties makes Christmas a popular time of year for house burglaries with unoccupied student homes being a prime target.
Don’t worry though, you don’t need to resort to “Home Alone” style burglar traps to keep your student property safe! There are a number of very simple ways to ensure that your home is secure over the festive season.
To get fully prepared for the festive break why not use our handy checklist below to tick off before you head off for Christmas fun?
- Store any valuable items away from windows
- Ensure all window locks are used and that doors are locked using 5 lever locks and bolts (where fitted)
- Take window keys out of locks and keep in a safe place
- Make sure that bedroom doors are locked (where fitted)
- Check any rear yard security lights are working properly
- Make sure that all yard gates are bolted shut (where fitted)
- Leave some lighting on, preferably connected to a timer socket switch
- If you have an intruder alarm then take the time to make sure this is set
- Make sure you have social media security settings in place to keep information such as Ã¢â‚¬Å“home for the holidaysÃ¢â‚¬Â away from prying eyes
- Always password protect your mobile, laptop and other electrical items. In the event of anything happening you are more likely to get your electrical items back if they are secured, tracked and registered with immobilise – the UK national property register (www.immobilise.com).
- To track your device, download a mobile tracker app to give you the location of your mobile
- Keep lists of the make, model and serial numbers of your electronic items
- Mark electronics with a UV pen detailing your postcode, university name and student number
- Take photos of jewellery and small valuables
- Please make sure that any personal belongings left within your student property are covered under your own insurance. If you are worried about any of your valuables or personal possessions being left over the Christmas period, we recommend that you take them with you
- Store wheelie bins in the rear yard
- Check that all taps have been turned off before you leave
- Make sure that all rubbish has been put out – your student house will smell so much better when you return!
- Heating – if your student accommodation is being left unoccupied overnight then please make sure that the central heating system is in operation at a minimum of 55 degrees Fahrenheit / 16.6 degrees centigrade
- Electricity supply – please don’t switch off the electricity supply at any time as this will turn off your central heating boiler and prevent the fire alarm system and intruder alarm system (if applicable) from working.
If you’re a Roseworth tenant and have any maintenance issues that require urgent attention, please contact our office on firstname.lastname@example.org or call 0191 222 1225 and we’ll get them sorted as soon as we can.
If you would like further information on any of the points we’ve covered in this blog please do get in touch – a member of the Roseworth team will be happy to help!
And if you’ve still to arrange your Newcastle student accommodation for 2016/17 then please do take a look at the properties we still have available – if you would like to arrange a viewing please drop an email to email@example.com or give us a ring on 0191 222 1225.
Wishing you all a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!