Don’t we all wish we lived somewhere like Ramsay Street and had neighbours like Karl and Susan Kennedy?  If you are fortunate enough you will have kind and thoughtful neighbours who are a dream to live next to.  Unfortunately, this is not always the case and you may experience noisy neighbours.  This blog outlines what our Newcastle student tenants need to do if you find yourself in this situation.

  1. Try talking with the person(s) about the noise that they are creating.  The chances are that they will not be aware of the noise that they are making.
  2. If after speaking with them, the noise does not improve start keeping diary logs with details such as the address of the property causing the noise, the type of noise that is being created and dates and times that the noise is happening.
  3. Contact our friendly office staff at the main office on 0191 222 1225 or email and we will advise of our course of action.
  4. Final stage would be to contact the Noise Pollution Team at Newcastle City Council on 0191 2787878 or email  The telephone line is operational 5 days a week from 8.30 a.m. – 4.30 p.m.  Calls received after this time will be dealt with by a 24 hours call centre and sent to a team for investigation the following day.  The council will ask you to provide your diary notes and the council officer will consider factors such as the type of noise, how loud it is, how often and what time it occurs.  Noise monitoring of the problem will be then be carried out at your home and you will be advised what further action will happen.
  5. If the noise relates to antisocial behaviour the caller will be signposted to Northumbria Police on 101.