Situated just outside of Newcastle’s city centre, Sandyford is a bustling student area with plenty of things to do.
If you opt for student accomodation in Sandyford, not only will you be in close proximity of the main Northumbria and Newcastle University campuses, but you’ll also have access to a variety of restaurants, bars, pubs and shops.
Sandyford bars and nightlife
Whether you’re looking for a quick drink after lectures, or somewhere to call your new local, you’ll find a pub in Sandyford for any occasion. Some of the most student-friendly bars and pubs near Sandyford include:
- Blue Bell: Located in Jesmond Vale, on the edge of the beautiful Jesmond Dene park, the Blue Bell is a traditional pub with a very laid-back vibe. With a menu full of brilliant pub grub dishes, Wednesday pub quizzes, and a host of regular dog guests, it’s got all the makings of your new favourite venue.
- The Carriage: The Carriage is a good old-fashioned boozer that is perfect for a quiet pint with friends. Offering a selection of cask ales, this is a cosy pub has open fires and a quirky layout that you’re sure to love.
- The Cluny: Take a short walk from your Sandyford accommodation and visit the Cluny, which has a brilliant atmosphere through the day and late into the evening. The Cluny is also a gig venue, so you can also take advantage of live music playing in one of their two studios.
There are a number of Sandyford restaurants and cafes that are worth a visit during your time living in Sandyford. We’d recommend that you try out some of the following:
- Ernest: If you’re looking to fuel-up for the day with a delicious breakfast, or need a super-cool place to have coffee, Ernest is the place for you. Situated at the top of the Ouseburn, it is colourful and laid-back, having been set up and run by artists and designers.
- Harissa Mediterranean Kitchen: Serving rustic dishes from all parts of the Mediterranean, Harissa is a great place to dine in - or take food away. The menu changes depending what’s in season, so you’re always getting dishes made with the freshest ingredients. It’s also a social enterprise, so any profits they make get invested straight back in the community.
Shops in Sandyford
There are a number of local shops in Sandyford, including Nisa Local and Tesco Express for you to buy groceries near your student accommodation. You can also take a walk into Newcastle to take advantage of their city centre shopping.