A Guide to Checking Out of Student Accommodation

Here at Roseworth, we know that moving out of your Newcastle student accommodation can be just as stressful as moving in.

To help you out, we’ve highlighted a number of Frequently Asked Question to help you when it comes to leaving your property.

Do you have any guides for when I move out of the property?

All Roseworth tenants are provided with a comprehensive Moving Out Guide. This breaks down each step of moving out of our Newcastle student properties.

Of course, if you have any further questions, just give us a call or pop in and we’ll be happy to help.

What happens with cleaning the property?

When leaving your Newcastle student accommodation, you must ensure the premises are cleaned to a professional standard. This is per the terms of the tenancy agreement.

This is really important, as it’s often the most expensive cost when tenants leave a property.

What about cleaning the windows?

This depends on the type of Newcastle student property you live in.

When you live in a stand-alone property, rather than a block managed property, you’ll need to ensure the windows have been cleaned as per the tenancy agreement.

If you’ve hired a window cleaner, please provide Roseworth with a copy of the receipt when you leave. If we need to appoint a window cleaner, the cost will be deducted from the bond.

What happens with our utility provider?

When the time to leave your student accommodation comes, you’ll need to contact your utility provider with the final meter readings.

Roseworth will take these final meter readings during the checkout inspection.

You’ll also need to provide them with a forwarding address for any final bills.

What do we do about the electricity supply?

When it comes to the electricity, only provide the supplier with final readings. Do not instruct them to terminate the electricity supply.

This can damage the fire alarm and intruder alarm, if applicable.

What happens with the checkout inspection and inventory?

The inventory that you handed in after your move-in date will be used to determine everything is still in the same condition as when you moved in.

Everything detailed within the inventory should still be there, and all missing lightbulbs or crockery, if applicable should be replaced. If they’re not, the cost of replacing these will be deducted from the bond.

This will all be detailed during the one-hour checkout inspection. This will normally be the date the tenancy ends unless stated otherwise. You’ll receive a letter specifying the date and time beforehand.

We suggest as many tenants as possible be present at the appointment to avoid any issues.

Afterwards, if anything needs to be deducted, we will inform you of the amount once we receive a quote from our contractors. This normally takes about two weeks after the inspection.

Please note that should any work be identified by our office (i.e. cleaning or painting works) tenants will not get a chance to rectify this after the tenancy end date, as we will need to get the property ready for incoming tenants.

If all tenants are leaving the student property ahead of the tenancy end date, please let us know. This way, we should be able to move the inspection date forward.

When do I receive my Security Deposit Bond monies back?

Following the checks mentioned above, we aim to get deposit money back to tenants within 10 working days of the checkout.

However, if there are deductions to be made, this will take longer. This will be due to the collection of paperwork and receiving quotes for repairs or odd jobs.

Roseworth will email all documentation in relation to any deductions made, if applicable.

Please note, if you have a complaint, you’ll need to make this in writing, preferably via email to enquiries@roseworth.co.uk.

Nevertheless, we always aim to get deposits back to our tenants as soon as possible.

For more information please see here.

Where is my Security Deposit Bond Monies returned to?

Deposits will be returned via cheque in the post.

This will go to the address provided to us at the beginning of the tenancy – usually a parent’s address.

If the address has changed without us being informed, the cheque could go to the wrong address, and you’ll incur a £10 cancellation fee, which is what our bank charges us.

What about my unwanted personal items?

Upon leaving your Newcastle student property, all your personal items should be removed too.

If any are left behind, meaning our contractors have to move them, the associated cost will be deducted from your bond.

If you need any unwanted furniture collected, you’ll need to contact Newcastle City Council on (0191) 278 7878 to arrange a special collection. Two weeks’ notice is usually required for this type of removal.

Do I need to remove Virgin Media and Sky boxes or routers?

The answer to this is yes, as they are rented from the company. If they are not returned you’ll be billed by the company for the cost.

Therefore, you’ll need to inform your provider that you’re leaving your student property and follow their instructions for returning boxes and routers.

What’s the process for getting my mail redirected?

You’ll be responsible for ensuring all your post is directed to a new address. This can take up to five working days to come into effect.

Find more information here.

What happens with returning my keys?

Your keys must be returned to the Roseworth office before or on the last day of your tenancy.

If you’re present at the checkout inspection, we’ll happily accept your keys from you at that time.

If we aren’t in possession of all keys to your student property by the end of your tenancy, the cost of any keys that need replacing will be deducted from your bond.

Roseworth also reserves the right to change the locks if deemed necessary, and the cost of this will also be deducted from the bond.

I’m moving out of my current property earlier than my new tenancy begins. Can you store my belongings?

Unfortunately, Roseworth is unable to store any belongings at our office.

However, there are storage companies around the city we recommend, such as Store with Uss.

You can contact them on 0203 397 7916 or via email store@unistudentstorage.com.