A Guide to Student Lettings Documentation

Roseworth understands that the process of renting student accommodation can be overwhelming. This is mostly due to the number of forms and documents you’ll be faced with.

Below, we’ve highlighted a number of frequently asked questions in relation to our student lettings documents. If there’s anything else you’d like to know that isn’t on this page, please do get in touch.

Is Roseworth a Reputable Agent?

For the past 25 years, we’ve specialised in Newcastle student accommodation, becoming a highly respected agent in the process.

Aside from this, we are members of:

  • The Association of Residential Letting Agents (ARLA)
  • The National Association of Estate Agents (NAEA)
  • The National Approved Lettings Scheme (NALS)
  • Safe Agent
  • The Property Ombudsman
  • The Tenancy Deposit Scheme (TDS)

This means you can work with us in utmost confidence, knowing we follow the highest standards in the industry.

What is a Security Deposit Bond and How much is it?

A Security Deposit Bond is the money each tenant is required to pay before the tenancy starts, this then acts as security for the landlord against any damages or loss of rent.

At Roseworth, the amount payable is the equivalent of one month’s rent.

Once it’s been paid, the money is then registered with a government-backed tenancy deposit scheme. This will remain in the deposit scheme until the end of the tenancy, at which point it will be repaid to the tenant less any money owed for rent, damages or other costs which will be deducted first.

You can find more information here.

Should any deductions be made, students will be provided with all supporting paperwork and invoices. We will always try to resolve any disputes, or questions, regarding deductions.

Where is my Security Deposit Bond Held?

We register all Security Deposit Bond monies with the Tenancy Deposit Scheme (TDS). The money is then handled under the terms of the scheme.

Your deposit will then be protected by the TDS who can help to resolve any disputes at the end of the tenancy.

All tenants will be provided with a guide on the TDS once they’ve secured their property. We provide a copy of the certificate to all tenants via email and also in the student’s welcome pack upon moving into the property.

You can find more information and advice here.

What is a Guarantor?

This is a third party to the tenancy agreement, who guarantees all rent will be paid if the tenant fails to. This a usually a student’s parent or family member.

All tenants renting student accommodation with Roseworth will need a guarantor. This person needs to be a UK citizen, over the age of 18 and in full-time employment.

If a guarantor cannot be provided, we may request all rent to be paid in advance.

I’m an International Student and I don’t have a Guarantor, what can I do?

If you’re in this situation, there’s no need to panic, as there are other options available.

The first is to pay the full year’s rent in advance. However, we know this can be difficult. Because of this, there are guarantor services, such as Housing Hand, available to help with your student accommodation.

For those that need more information regarding this, you can either give us a call or pop in for a chat.

What is a Tenancy Agreement?

All of Roseworth’s student accommodation is let with a tenancy agreement. This is a legally binding contract between yourself and the landlord.

It will specify the terms and conditions of the tenancy while setting out all obligations relating to your rent, occupation of the property and conditions.

All future Roseworth tenants will be provided with a tenancy agreement to read through before signing-up. We will also answer all questions students have in regards to the contract before signing.

What is a House in Multiple Occupation licensed property?

A House in Multiple Occupation (HMO) is a property with five or more bedrooms across three floors or more.

All of our HMO licensed properties fully comply with HMO licensing regulations and have been inspected by Newcastle upon Tyne City Council Public Health officials.

What Does Joint and Several Liability Mean?

When several tenants move into a single property, they’ll all sign one tenancy agreement. This is a joint contract and is a common practice in the student accommodation industry.

Therefore, when it comes to the rent, each tenant is liable both jointly and individually. So, if one tenant fails to pay the rent, the remaining tenants will be accountable.

Do Roseworth Require Reference Checks?

All UK students with a signed guarantor form from a UK citizen won’t require reference checks from a previous landlord. This is to make the signing up process easier for tenants.

However, if you should enter into a tenancy agreement by yourself, Roseworth will require references for your guarantor.

Do all of your Properties Follow the Necessary Statutory Requirements?

Here at Roseworth, we ensure that all our student accommodation complies with up to date legislation. Such as:

  • The Furniture and Furnishings Fire Safety Regulations 1993
  • Gas Safety Installation and Use 1998
  • NICEIC Regulations & Electrical Equipment Safety Regulations 1994

What is an Inventory?

Inventories are in place to protect both the tenants and the landlord. They list everything present in the property, and here at Roseworth, we’ve developed an easy inventory for tenants to follow.

Issued to the first person that collects their keys, we ask that the inventory is returned within the next seven days. This gives tenants the chance to check over everything inside the inventory to ensure everything matches inside the property. This also gives you the chance to state if anything doesn’t match up.

The returned inventory is then used when tenants ‘check out’ at the end of the tenancy, helping to ensure everything is still how it was found.