Student Lettings Documentation

Is Roseworth a reputable agent?

Yes! Roseworth have over 20 years specialising in Newcastle student accommodation. We are also members of the Association of Residential Letting Agents (ARLA), members of National Association of Estate Agents (NAEA), as well as the National Approved Lettings Scheme (NALS). We are also members of Safe Agent, The Property Ombudsman and the Tenancy Deposit Scheme (TDS). This means you can have faith in what we do knowing that we follow the highest standards in the industry, are fully qualified to give our expert opinions and have confidence in knowing that you are dealing with a professional agent. 

What is a Security Deposit Bond and how much is it?

A Security Deposit Bond is money which each tenant is required to pay before the tenancy starts acting as security for the landlord against any damages or loss of rent. This money is registered with a government-backed tenancy deposit scheme and is returned to the tenant at the end of the tenancy, providing no money is owed to for rent, damages or other costs which will be deducted. The amount payable is the equivalent of one month’s calendar rent.


For more information please see: 

Where is my Security Deposit Bond held?

Roseworth register all tenant’s Security Deposit Bond monies with the Tenancy Deposit Scheme (TDS) which are handled under the terms of the Scheme. The TDS will protect your deposit and can help resolve disputes about deposits should there be any at the end of the tenancy. Roseworth supply a guide on the TDS which is provided to the tenants after securing a property.


For more information and advice please see:

What is a Guarantor?

A guarantor is a third party to the tenancy agreement who guarantees that all rent will be paid in the event that a tenant fails to. Roseworth require all guarantors to be UK citizens, over the age of 18 and in full time employment. If a tenant cannot provide a guarantor then Roseworth may request that all rent is paid in advance. All tenants renting Newcastle student accommodation with Roseworth need a guarantor. 

I’m an International student and I don’t have a Guarantor, what can I do?

Don’t worry, there are other options available! One option is to pay the full annual rent in advance, however this can be difficult for some students and so there are guarantor services available, for example, Roseworth have dealt with Housing Hand ( who are very helpful. If you have any further questions we are always happy to help, please give us a call or pop down to our office for a friendly chat!

What is a Tenancy Agreement?

A Tenancy Agreement is a legally binding contract between you and your landlord. It specifies the terms and conditions of your tenancy setting out your obligations relating to rent, your occupation of the property and conditions.  Roseworth provide all our future tenants with a copy of the Tenancy Agreement to read through before coming into the office and signing up. We are always happy to help any students with questions they may have before signing the contact for your new Newcastle student property, we like to have a friendly open door policy!

What is a House in Multiple Occupation licensed property?

An HMO licensed property has 5 or more bedrooms arranged over 3 floors or more. All of Roseworth's HMO licensed properties fully comply with HMO Licensing regulations and have been inspected by Newcastle upon Tyne City Council Public Health officials.

What does Joint and Several Liability mean?

All tenants in a shared property will sign one Tenancy Agreement which is a Joint contract. This is normal procedure within the student accommodation industry. This means that each tenant is responsible for every other tenant on the Tenancy Agreement in terms of all the rent due each tenant is liable for the rent both jointly and individually. Thus if one tenant should fail to pay the rent then the remaining tenants will be liable.  

Do Roseworth require reference checks?

As long as you are a UK student and have a signed guarantor form from a UK citizen then Roseworth do not need any reference checks from your previous landlord – this makes the signing up process much easier and quicker for our tenants!


Should you enter into a Tenancy Agreement on your own, we will need references on your guarantor. 

Do all of your properties follow the necessary Statutory Requirements?

Yes! Roseworth check and ensure that each property complies with up to date legislation such as The Furniture and Furnishings (Fire) (Safety) Regulations 1993, Gas Safety (Installation and Use) 1998 and NICEIC Regulations & Electrical Equipment (Safety) Regulations 1994. 

Does the rent include bills?

No. Rent is exclusive of bills. All of Roseworth's Newcastle student accommodation is self contained and tenants will be liable for paying utility bills.  When you move in, we will provide you with the opening meter readings which will be noted at the back of the inventory.